- Learn how to set up a score and enter notes
- Transpose, assign instrumentation, mix volumes, panning and other controllers
- Learn advanced page layout techniques and “house styles”
- Import MIDI, MusicXML, lyrics, and more
- Learn to write music to videos
- Access to Sibelius 7 software with Sibelius Sound Library, Scorch, and Photoscore Ultimate/ Lite installed (all are available on Sibelius 7 installer CD)
- A midi/controller keyboard or Clavinova digital piano, which can be attached to the computer via USB for direct input
- Basic understanding of the program: A run through
- Inputting by basic mouse techniques: Steptime recording with mouse and/or midi keyboard “Sonatina” and “Bach Chorale”.
- Inputting lyrics and chords “Oh Susannah”
- Inputting by midi keyboard using Flexitime “Minuet in G minor”. Transposing the score and extracting the parts.
- Recording in a basic sequencing program, saving as a SMF, and then importing into Sibelius
- Advanced page layout techniques and “house styles”
- Advanced scoring techniques
- Inputting and scoring of percussion parts
- Writing and saving EPS files to be inserted into a word processing document
- Creating worksheets
- Individual time for student self-projects
- Saving as Audio and burning to CD
- Idea mode concepts
- You must refer to online reference manual that comes with Sibelius 7 software
- Only the students taking this course for college credit 'must' submit their weekly assignments. It is not mandatory for others to have to submit their assignments. However, it is recommended that you do that for a complete learning experience.
This course is not repeatable for college credit for those who have already taken a MUS 5060 and 5061 course thru SPU.
Note: Once registered for MUS 5040: Sibelius 7 software please register with SPU within one week of starting your course by following the link below to online registration or by calling 800-482-3848. SPU registration is paid to Seattle Pacific University and handled separately from the course registration.
To Register :Click here and search for MUS 5040
- Graduate-level quarter credits are available for this course through Seattle Pacific University at $150.
- The cost for the 3 units is $50 per credit hour payable to SPU.
Who is it for?
The course is designed for beginner and intermediate users or older Sibelius users wishing to learn the new Sibelius 7 version
Why take Sibelius Software Course ?
Sibelius is one of the world’s best-selling music notation software used by music composers, publishers and arrangers. For any musician to make a successful career in music, being on top of Sibelius software is essential.
I simply loved this course: it was carefully planned, informative, clear and easy to follow. Although I have been using Sibelius for quite some time, there were lots of new things I learnt (e.g. to write music to a video). Mike has been very helpful and encouraging – always quick to respond. It really was a pleasure “meeting” him and being able to engage online. He certainly is a master in his field – a teacher at heart!
I studied with Mike in the summer of 2014. He is a wonderful teacher; very knowledgeable and personable! He is an expert in Sibelius, ProTools, Band-in-a-Box, and much more! I learned a great deal from him as a musician, technician, and entrepreneur. I would definitely love to work more with him in the future."
Mike's midi workshop was excellent for music educators and covered a WEALTH of information that teachers and students can use. His directions were precise (even though technology, itself has it's glitches). Here is an example of the broad scope covered: The very first assignment was a line of My Country, Tis of Thee, and one of the last assignments was writing music to video. I felt good about how much I learned, even though technology is not my forte. I highly recommend his course.