System & Device Check
About the Class
Dr. Nellie Deutsch in conversation with Daniel Bassil
Dr. Nellie Deutsch
About Daniel Bassil
Daniel F Bassil, the CEO and Founder of Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC, July 2011. He combines 40 years of unique experiences into his leadership of the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC and the Tutor/Mentor Connection.
In 36 years leading a volunteer-based tutor/mentor program, Dan helped create three of the most respected tutor/mentor programs in Chicago, as:
- Volunteer Director of the Montgomery Ward-Cabrini Green Tutoring Program from 1975-1990. This program grew from 100 to 300 pairs of teens and volunteers over 15 years.
- Executive Director of Cabrini-Green Tutoring Program, Inc. from 1990 till October 1992. During this period, the number of youth grew to 440 and the number of volunteers grew to 550.
- Founder and president of Cabrini Connections from 1993-2011. The program started in 1993 with five teens and 7 volunteers and enrolled more than 600 teens and 800 volunteers in the next 18 years.
He helped grow the lawyers Lend A Hand to youth program from a $2k award in 1994 to a $2 million foundation in 2007, as:
- A non-profit partner and founding member of Executive Committee of the Lend A Hand Program from 1994 to 2001, while it operated as part of the Chicago Bar Foundation
- A member of the Executive Board of SunTimes Marovitz Lawyers Lend A Hand to Youth Program from its founding in 2001 through 2008
He created Tutor/Mentor Connection in 1993 as part of the Cabrini Connections organization’s strategic plan, with a goal of helping high-quality tutor/mentor programs reach more youth in all poverty areas of Chicago. Today the T/MC is a resource used by people in Chicago and throughout the world.
With no professional fund raising staff, limited dollars, no board members with connections to City Hall or wealthy families, he raised more than $6 million between 1993 and 2011 to support operations of Cabrini Connections, and Tutor/Mentor Connection.
He created the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC in 2011 to support the continued work of Tutor/Mentor Connection in Chicago and to help similar intermediary organizations grow in other cities of the US and the world.
Awards & media: http://www.tutormentorexchange.net/awards-and-recognition
Get in touch with Daniel:
Tutor/ Mentor Institute on Facebook
About Dr. Nellie Deutsch
Nellie holds a Doctor of Education (Ed.D) in educational leadership specializing in curriculum & instruction and is an E-Learning Professional Development Specialist.
She is the founder of Integrating Technology for Active Lifelong Learning (IT4ALL), an online informal network of volunteers that provides free and low-cost professional development workshops for educators around the world. The hands-on workshops help teachers learn to integrate technology into blended and fully online classes for private and public courses.
Language of instruction: