How the course works?
This is a non-syncronous course, meaning that it is not in realtime. Simply download the tutorial assignment, follow the instructions, submit to the instructor as directed, and receive feedback from the instructor. You can complete the course materials on a weekly basis (usually 2-3 hours per week), or you can proceed at your own pace and finish the course early.
Finale 2012 Music Software Program Training is a great class for the beginner and intermediate user as well as for the older users of Finale who want to catch up with the new version (Finale 2012). Simple in-class assignments will teach you how to:
- Learn the 5 different note input techniques
- Input a lead sheet with chords and lyrics SATB
- Input a simple instrumental score and transpose and print the parts
- Import standard midifiles from other programs
- Edit as needed, scan music, save as EPS file for integration into books or magazines
- Learn advanced layout techniques
- Create Smartmusic files
- Transcription mode
- Create vocal score from a Piano part
- Learn Piano reduction from a vocal score
- Opt new percussion layouts and mapping
- Improve chord input
- Hundreds of music education worksheets
- Audio and playback enhancements, and much more.
By the end of Finale 2012 Music Software Program Training online course you’ll :
- Learn basic steptime inputting techniques using the mouse and midi keyboard
- Learn basic real-time inputting techniques using the midi keyboard
- Learn basic lyric and chord entry techniques
- Transpose, assign instrumentation, mix volumes, panning and other controllers
- Input a simple lead sheet, piano piece, multi-voiced piece (chorale), and small score.
- Extract the parts of a score and printout score and parts.
- Understand the techniques involved of importing and editing SMF’s
- Learn how Finale interprets and recognizes scanned images and then edit as needed
- Learn advanced page layout techniques
- Learn advanced scoring techniques
- Learn how to integrate with Smartmusic Studio
- Write examples as EPS files to be imported into a word processor
- Save your work as Audio and burn to CD
Course Duration: June 23rd - August 29th 2014 (10 week session) or...self pace yourself if you want to move along quicker.
Note - You must have access to Finale 2012 software and a midi/controller keyboard in order to take this course!
- Also, Optional (3) graduate-level quarter credits will be made available for this course through Seattle Pacific University at $150.
- This course is not repeatable for college credit for those who have already taken MUS 5065 and MUS 5066 thru SPU.
- The cost for the 3 units is $50 per credit hour payable to SPU.
Once registered for MUS 5042: Finale 2012 please register with SPU within one week of starting your course by following the link below to online registration or by calling 800-482-3848. SPU registration is paid to Seattle Pacific University and handled separately from the course registration.
To Register: Click here – and search for MUS 5042
- This course is time specific and assignments / projects will be organized into (10) weekly folders to be completed weekly!
Course Outline :
- Basic understanding of the program: A run thru
- Inputting by basic mouse techniques: Step Time recording with mouse and/or midi keyboard “Sonatina” and “Bach Chorale”
- Inputting lyrics and chords “Oh Susannah”
- Inputting by midi keyboard using Hyperscribe “Minuet in G minor”. Transposing the score and extracting the parts
- Final class project “Over the Rainbow”
- Recording in a basic sequencing program, saving as a SMF, and then importing into Finale.
- Advanced page layout techniques
- Advanced scoring techniques
- Integration with Smartmusic Studio
- Saving graphic files to be inserted into a word processing document
- Creating a vocal score from a simple piano part.
- Writing percussion
- Saving as Audio and burning to CD
Note : Only the students taking this course for college credit 'must' submit their weekly assignments. It is not mandatory for others to have to submit their assignments. However, it is recommended that you do that for a complete learning experience.
Feedback and testimonials :
"I highly recommend Mike Klinger’s Finale Class. I am a long time user of Finale and I learned some very useful capabilities of the program that I was not aware of. I like the ability to take the course for graduate credit. I can’t wait to start my next course!"
"Thank you so much for setting up this course. Besides being an inexpensive way to get credits for my continuing education, you answered a lot of questions that I had about how to use Finale, answers that I couldn't find in any of the Finale documentation. You got me up to speed on Encore and now I am more than comfortable with Finale!" Thank you.
~ Hal Shepperd
"I have learned some things I've been wanting to learn about for a very long time, so I'm glad I took this course!"
~ Judy Rounda
Mike's classes are very informative and his excellent musicianship is evident in both the course structure and his individualized feedback. I'm looking forward to taking the rest of his courses very soon! I'm already putting my new knowledge to work and SOOO glad I took the protools and finale classes from Mike.
~ Jason Polise